Reading the below tips and instructions for Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) which are provided by Dr. Hadi Amali, will help you to have a better recovery period after Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck).
1) During the first days after the surgery the abdomen area is swollen and you might feel pain which is natural. It's recommended to wear the special guin for 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery to have less amount of swelling and to make the skin attached to the abdomen muscles. In order to have a better blood circulation, it's recommended to walk time to time during the first 5 days after the surgery.
2) Recovery period depends on the patient's age, patient's general condition before the surgery and the severity of surgery. Usually the patients are able to start the daily light tasks after two weeks and they can go to work but it's different from patient to patient.
3) Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) is a kind of surgery in which the excess skin and excess fat are removed and the abdomen muscles are tightened. As a consequence, you might face difficulty to stand straight, during the first two weeks after the surgery and it's normal. During the first two/three weeks after the surgery, don't try to push yourself to stand straight. Little by little (as you are passing your recovery period) you can stand normally.
4) After your drains are removed, you can take off your guin and take a shower with cold water and using baby shampoo. After your shower, then please again wear your guin.
5) In order to avoid the drains to be blocked by blood clots, please hold the drain close to your body by one hand and then pull the drain so that the blood comes out of the drain.
6) The blood color which is coming out of the drain is pure red during the first days. After that the color will be less red. 5 to 7 days after the surgery, Dr. Amali's assistant or hospital nurse, will take out the drains. You can't take a shower unless your drains are taken out.
7) Try to ask one of your friends or family members to accompany you during the first week.
8) Anesthesia effect is different from person to person. You may feel exhausted during the first 5 days after the surgery and it's totally normal.
9) In order to avoid gastritis after the surgery, please try to eat soft foods like soup. Please don't eat foods which are salty for the first month because salty foods will make the abdomen area more swollen. In order to avoid constipation, please try to include vegetable and fruits in your diet and please try to have normal diet so that you could receive all the required vitamins. You should take the painkillers and antibiotics which are prescribed by Dr. Amali for 5 to 7 days after the surgery.
10) During the first few days after the surgery, please try to drink water and natural juices. During the first few days after the surgery, please don't drink caffeine and carbonated soda. During the first 72 hours after the surgery, you should minimize eating and drinking diary products.
11) It's recommended to wear loose and comfortable clothes after Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck). As you might have a little bleeding in the wound areas, please use a bed-sheet during sleeping time.
12) If you feel pain, please take your painkiller (Acetaminophen - 1 tablet every 4 hours). Please do not take Aspirin or other medicines containing Aspirin during the first week after the surgery.
13) You should avoid alcoholic drinks and cigarette/hookah for two weeks after Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck).
14) You can start driving your car, 2 to 3 weeks after the surgery.
15) During the first two days after the surgery, please drink 8 cups of water per day.
16) 5 to 7 days after the surgery, your drains will be taken of by the nurse or Dr. Hadi Amali's assistant. Your stitches are absorbable, so there is not need to remove them.
17) You can start massaging the cut areas, 4 weeks after the Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck). Please use body lotion or olive oil during the massage.
18) You can start doing your daily tasks 2 weeks after Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck), but you shouldn't put pressure on yourself. You can start your light-exercises 4 weeks after the surgery. Upper body light-exercises can be started 4 weeks after the surgery but Lower body light-exercises should be started, 8 or 12 weeks after the surgery. You can start heavy-exercises, 6 moths after your surgery.
19) You should avoid lifting more than 5 kg, unless it's 6 months after your Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck).
20) You should stop using hookah, cigarettes and hormonal drugs, 2 weeks before the surgery.
21) You should stop taking Aspirins or other anticoagulant medicines and alcoholic drinks, at least 3 to 4 days before the surgery.
22) If you have plan to get pregnant, you should postpone your Abdominoplasty after your giving birth.
23) If you have plan to lose weight, you should wait till you reach your desired weight and then you can do your Abdominoplasty. Otherwise, if you lose weight after your Abdominoplasty, you might need a revision Abdominoplasty.
24) For the first 2 weeks after the surgery, please use antibiotic creams (Gentamisin) on the cut areas twice a day and please wash the cut area only with washing serum.
25) 2 weeks after Abdominoplasty, in order to remove the scar lines, you should start using silicone cream and silicone tape on the wound area, for 3 to 6 months. The silicone cream and silicone tape should not touch an open wound. Laser treatment (2 months after the surgery) is very useful to remove the scar lines.
26) Please shave the unwanted hair of the abdomen area before the surgery.